Saudi Journalist Killed, Dismembered at Consulate in Istanbul

Saudi Journalist Killed, Dismembered at Consulate in Istanbul

Khashoggi also is a Washington Post contributor.

Turkey's foreign ministry said Tuesday that authorities will search the Saudi consulate in Istanbul as part of an investigation into the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi last week. The Post said it obtained this image from a "person close to the investigation". The Saudi government has denied the allegation.

A Turkish police officer stands guard outside the Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul, Turkey October 9, 2018.

Turkish officials told Reuters at the weekend they believed he had been killed inside the Saudi consulate.

Khashoggi, who has lived in self-imposed exile in Washington for the past year fearing retribution for his critical views on Saudi policies, entered the consulate on Tuesday to secure documentation for his forthcoming marriage, according to his fiancee, who waited outside. Khashoggi disappeared immediately afterward. As a columnist for the Washington Post, Khashoggi has criticized Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for his policies.

But even hard-nosed pragmatists, like Aaron David Miller, a former Middle East adviser to Republican and Democratic administrations, have urged the White House to denounce the prince should it be established that Khashoggi has, in fact, been murdered.

More news: Riyad Mahrez blazes over late penalty as Man City's Anfield hoodoo remains

Turkish authorities suspect Khashoggi was murdered while inside the building, and President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan says he is now personally involved in the case. the BBC reported.

Journalists and activists gathered outside the Saudi consulate on Monday demanding information on Khashoggi's fate. Erdogan has said he would await the results of an investigation.

A former newspaper editor in Saudi Arabia and adviser to its former head of intelligence, Khashoggi left the country past year saying he feared retribution for his criticism of Saudi policy in the Yemen war and its crackdown on dissent.

The journalist said he had been banned from writing in the pan-Arab daily Al-Hayat, owned by Saudi prince Khaled bin Sultan al-Saud, over his defence of the Muslim Brotherhood which Riyadh has blacklisted as a terrorist organisation.

Saudi authorities continue to insist they played no role in Khashoggi's disappearance. It said Saudi Arabia sent a team of investigators to help look into the case.

Though Khashoggi gave his Saudi phone to his fiancée before entering the embassy in Istanbul, he walked in to the building with his T-Mobile US cell phone, which he had used to contact his confidential sources. "State Department senior officials have spoken with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia through diplomatic channels about this matter".

More news: Could Susan Rice challenge Susan Collins in 2020?

She said Mr Khashoggi had been required to surrender his mobile phone, which is standard practice in some diplomatic missions.

Khashoggi had sought assurances about his safety from friends in the United States before visiting the consulate and had asked Cengiz to contact Turkish authorities if he failed to emerge. "Hopefully that will sort itself out", the president added.

Prince Turki later became the Saudi Ambassador to the United Kingdom and the USA, exposing Khashoggi to numerous roles of critical importance.

Mr Khashoggi was last seen visiting the consulate last week and Turkey says he may have been murdered there.

European Union policy chief Federica Mogherini expressed support for Pompeo's statement on Tuesday and said the EU is "fully aligned with the USA position on this". "Jamal is a Saudi citizen whose safety and security is a top priority", he said. Erdogan asked. "Don't you have cameras and other things?"

In a rare public appearance in October, the crown prince - known as MBS - said he would strive for "a country of moderate Islam that is tolerant of all religions and to the world".

More news: Unemployment lowest since 1969

Related Articles