Workers killed at South Africa gold mine cave

Workers killed at South Africa gold mine cave

"Three of the five employees have been returned to surface‚ one of whom regretfully succumbed to his injuries and has passed away". Another employee has been located, while two employees remain unaccounted for.

Two miners were killed and five others were still missing underground after an natural disaster hit the Masakhane gold mine west of Johannesburg, the Sibanye-Stillwater company said on Thursday.

Thirteen miners were initially trapped about three kilometres (two miles) below the surface, James Wellsted, spokesman for mining company Sibanye-Stillwater, said in a statement.

More news: LeBron James puts on a show against the Raptors in Game 2

It thanked the rescue teams and said every effort was continuing to locate missing employees.

Sibanye-Stillwater said six employees were taken to a hospital and were in stable condition. "This suggests that greater attention be paid to issues of safety‚ particularly the protection of the lives of workers‚ as opposed to the insistence of chasing production".

South Africa also has one of the deepest mines in the world. The Department of Mineral Resources and all unions have been notified and are on site to assist with the rescue efforts.

More news: Severe storms Thursday, flood advisory in Oklahoma

Eight miners remain underground, the company said.

In February, almost 1,000 miners were trapped underground for 30 hours following a power cut caused by a storm in another mine owned by Sibanye-Stillwater. Operations at the Masakhane shaft had been suspended, the company added.

More news: Will.i.am addresses Kanye West's "ignorant", "harmful" comments about slavery

Related Articles