US Captures Man Wanted in 2012 Killing of Four Americans in Benghazi

US Captures Man Wanted in 2012 Killing of Four Americans in Benghazi

Special operations forces have captured a top militant who helped lead the deadly 2012 attacks against a US diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, The Associated Press reported Monday.

The September 2012 attack on the United States consulate in Libya's second largest city resulted in the deaths of Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other USA citizens.

Meanwhile, Mustafa Al Imam is to be transferred to the U.S. from the American navy ship where he is now being held following his Monday capture, for federal prosecution, CNN has reported.

US commandos captured the man in Libya during a joint mission that was approved by both President Trump and the Libyan government, USA officials told the news wire on condition of anonymity.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in a separate statement also said that he was "deeply grateful" to US officials for their efforts.

US President Donald Trump said he expects al-Imam to "face justice" on US soil.

A mortar assault on a nearby annex killed security officers Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty, both Central Intelligence Agency contractors and former US Navy SEALs, according to the account. He will be flown to the United States where he will be tried before a federal court.

Читайте также: Dyche focussed on Burnley despite Everton rumours

President Trump said in a statement Monday that although five years have passed since the fatal attack, "our memory is deep and our reach is long".

It's doubtful it will be fast enough to satisfy former Marine Mark Geist, one of the survivors of the Benghazi attack. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the U.S. would "spare no effort" to ensure al-Imam is held accountable.

Al Imam is one of two captured in response to the Benghazi attack, in which terrorists used firearms and rocket-propelled grenades to assault a diplomatic building and kill US servicemen.

Prosecutors said Mr al-Imam was in the process of being transported to the US.

Upon arrival to the US, Imam will be presented before a federal judge in Washington, DC, according to the justice department.

Earlier this month, US prosecutors opened their case against the suspected ringleader, Ahmed Abu Khatallah. Jeff Sessions could have withdrawn it, one supposes, and Trump could have ordered Al-Imam to go to Guantanamo, but not without a great deal of legal and political challenges.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2017 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Related Articles